A wrestling life: What’s next for Clark

by Kinsey Phipps

Second grade was when the love of wrestling all started for PCM High School senior Tristan Clark. Coming from a family who didn’t have a big wrestling backround, the love for the sport was built from experience.
Through the years, not only did Clark’s ability evolve, but so did his love and drive to get better.
“It was just for fun when I first started. I didn’t really start trying as hard as I do now until middle school,” Clark said.
Going into high school, coaches, fans and wrestlers all could easily see Clark was something different. He finished his freshman year with a record of 21-14, and he got the title of most outstanding freshman. His sophomore and junior years, he won the title of most outstanding wrestler, as well as being a State qualifier his junior year. His senior year, he got his hundredth win and beat the school record of most wins in a season with a 44-4 finish: The previous record was 41 wins. Not only did Clark achieve all of that, but he also went to State and earned the title of 126-pound State runner-up.
“Freshman year’s goal was to win more than I lost, make varsity and win a tournament,” Clark said. “I wanted to be undefeated and State champ this year, but it didn’t work out like I wanted.”
His goals going into high school and into his last year were a bit different. As a freshman, all Clark wanted was to make varsity, win more matches than he lost and maybe win a tournament or two. His senior year, he wanted to be at the top of the podium at the State tournament. That was his drive to be better. His reasoning to put himself through pain and sweat in practice everyday. He wanted to be champion. He was one step up the podium short of being at the top, but he disappointed no one.
In future, Clark plans to go to college and wrestle at an undecided college. He plans to major in exercise science and become a personal trainer. Clark says he doesn’t know if he would ever coach, but he intends on coaching his kids.
Congratulations on a successful high school career, and good luck to Clark on his college career and future.