Springing into the Season

Spring league for the PCM softball team was supposed to start on March 23 at Urbandale High School, but due to some unfortunate cold temperatures that weekend, the Mustangs started their pre-season games at their home field in Monroe this past weekend. Spring league is an invite-only event where around 15 girls are invited to play for the weekend. These games are open for the public to watch. There was one fan who always took advantage of these games, Don (Donald) Teeple. Don would always come to outdoor practices, intrasquad, spring league games, and in-season games. Don would always show up to these games in his classic plain orange shirt, so the team came up with a plan. At one of the very first official outdoor practices of the 2023 season, Don made his way from his house, right next to the softball field, and was given his very own orange PCM softball shirt. Don unfortunately passed away in December 2023. Per Don’s wishes, no service was held, and all donations made to his family were given to the PCM softball team. With the first spring league game of the season, the team tried to make it extra special. After the first game, the entire team was there on Saturday. We all went to Subway and just talked about our favorite memories from the previous seasons and what we could do to improve in the upcoming season. The Mustangs did go 0-2 on the day, losing to 2A Interstate 35 Roadrunners and 5A Ankeny Centennial. The Mustangs will continue their pre-season with games at PCM on Saturday, April 6, facing Waukee at 10 a.m. and Johnston Purple at 1:30 p.m.