Why this Year is Going to be one of the best 2A State Track Match-Ups Yet!

This year, the Boy’s 2A state track meet is very highly anticipated. From South Hamiliton running a school record setting time in 4×400 meter relay and going number one in the state, to Trevor Veenstra throwing the shot put 60 feet 11 inches making him one of the best in the state of Iowa, there are going to be some very impressive feats of talent shown. So with those being impressive in themselves, let’s talk about what the other events have to offer. Starting with high jump, you have Tyson Seeser from Camanche and Ryan Little from Albia, both in the junior class, jumping 6 ’10 and 6′ 7 so that will be a great battle in the finals. Moving forward to long jump, you have senior Jack Miller from Jesup who is really off in his own competition, jumping 23 ‘3.25, which is almost a foot more than the next competitor. Next, will be the discus throw. You have two seniors, Trevor Veenstra from Pella Christian at number one and Evan Adams from Kuemper Catholic at number two, throwing within 6 inches of each other at 190 ‘02 and 184 ‘11. This will be another awesome showdown in the finals. Now to some running events. Starting with the 100 meter dash and the 4×100 meter dash, with all top eight athletes in the 100 within 2 tenths of a second so it will be a heck of a race but standing on top leading into state is Jaden Damiano, senior from Iowa Falls-Alden. Treynor has the fastest 4×100 in 2A with a 42.73. Next on the list will be the 200 meter dash and the 4×200. Starting with the 200 we have senior Ryan Leonard from Estherville Lincoln Central which has the only 21 second 200 meter dash of the year in class 2A. But in the 4×200, it is a different story. The most impressive South Hamilton relay comes to the 4×200 meter relay with a 1:29.95, 2 tenths ahead of second place, Spirit Lake and again the Forest City hot on their heels in third. This will be an anticipated finals race for sure. Moving forward to the 400 meter dash as well as the 400 meter hurdles and the 4×400 meter relay. The 400 meter dash has senior Qamerin Hussey from Spirit Lake and junior Luke Sternberg from AHSTW running within 2 tenths of each other but they have yet to meet other than at state so we will see how that plays out. In the 400 hurdles you have senior Jaden Damiano from Iowa Falls-Alden who at the moment is off in his own competition with a 52.50, almost 2 seconds faster than the second place competitor. Then we have one of the most hyped up races in track, the 4×400 meter relay, and having the first place spot in that is no other than second in the whole state, South Hamilton. With a time of 3:17.13, they are almost 6 seconds faster than the second place team. That is insane! But moving on we have the 800 meter run, 800 meter sprint medley and 4×800 run. Starting with the 800, we have an absolute stud of a sophomore from Des Moines Christian, Caleb Ten Pas with a 1:54.90 which is 7 tenths faster than second place so we’ll see if senior Logan Rosas from Mediapolis can run down the young blood. Moving on to the 800 meter sprint medley, there’s the impressive squad from Spirit Lake running a 1:34.07 but Treynor is right behind them with a 1:34.23, so this is going to be an awesome competition in the SMR. Then for one of the best distance races in track, in my opinion, the 4×800 meter relay. Mediapolis has an absolute juggernaut of a quartet, with a time of 7:50.46 they have the lead 9 seconds. Next you have the 1600 meter run and the 1600 medley relay. In the mile there is sophomore Calen Ten Pas, with a time of 4:17.82 which is 4 seconds faster than second place then there is the medley and my oh my is it close. First place Spirit Lake and second place Mediapolis both ran a 3:34 but it is split up by .7 seconds so this will be a great battle on Saturday. For the last distance race, it is the 3200 meter run, and senior Soloman Znugg from Mediapolis has a 21 second advantage on second place. Absolutely amazing! But last but not least the 110 meter shuttle hurdle and the 110 meter high hurdles. Starting with the shuttle, Iowa Falls-Alden and Treynor who are 1 and 2 with .3 seconds between them, they are also the only teams under the one minute mark. Moving on to the final event, the 110 meter high hurdles. Senior Jaden Damiano from Iowa Falls-Alden is the leader with a .4 second lead on second place, junior Brady Wallace from Treynor. This year’s 2A finals is definitely going to be one to watch but what do you think, are the favorites going to pull it off or are some underdogs going to shine? We will see on May 16th, 17th, and 18th at the Drake Stadium in Des Moines for the 2024 Iowa High school Track and Field Championships.