Valentine’s Day sends one to State

by Kinsey Phipps

On Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14, a few PCM wrestlers headed to the Districts tournament in Fairfield. On
this day of love for many around the world, for wrestlers nationwide, it was about doing their best to succeed in the sport they love; that’s just what senior Tristan Clark did.
PCM sent three Mustangs onto Districts, including Clark, senior Ron Marshall and sophomore Xavier Miller. Miller had a rough day, as he lost the first-round match 2-1, then lost the third-place match 9-2 in his tough 132-pound weight class. Marshall also lost his first-round match but proceeded to win the third-place matchup, pinning his opponent in 38 seconds. This was his 100th high school career win. As Marshall won third place, he got the chance to wrestle a wrestle-back for the coveted second-place spot that would send him off to the State tournament. He fell short with a final score of 8-1 in his opponent’s favor.
For Clark, there was no other option than to succeed and go to State one last time; that is exactly what he did. Clark won his first-round match when he pinned his adversary in 5:39. Though he fell short in winning the championship match 4-2, Clark still secured the second-place position that opened the doors to the State tournament for the second year in a row.
Congratulations to Miller, Marshall and Clark. Come support Clark as he wrestles this afternoon, Feb. 19, at Wells Fargo Arena at 1:30 p.m.