Lady ‘Stangs snap four-game skid, sweep Greene County

by Dylan Sanders

The Mustangs ended the regular season on a high note, beating Greene County 35-27 in their last home game on Feb. 2. This was the second time the Mustangs beat the Rams this season, a sweep. This win marked the end of the Mustangs four-game losing streak. The Mustangs ended the regular season with a 7-14 record, and a 5-9 record against opponents in the Heart of Iowa Conference. The Mustangs were led by sophomore Regan Freland with 22 points in the game.

Freland said, “ I think our defense was a lot better as a whole against Greene County. That was our main goal going into that game, and I think we all did a very good job of executing that. Ending the regular season with a win under our belt was great because it boosts our confidence heading into regionals.

Other Mustangs that contributed in scoring were juniors Camryn Wignall and Morgan Uhlenhopp each with four points. Sophomore Sierra Foster was a statistical marvel as she had eight rebounds and three steals. Freland was the only Mustang that scored in double digits.

Freland said, “ This week in practice we are really going to get after it with our defense and shooting. Lately, our shooting has been a little off but that happens. We’re going to come back and play as well as we possibly can against South Tama.“
The Mustangs will prepare to face the off against the South Tama County Trojans in the first round of regionals on Saturday, Feb. 10. The game will be played in South Tama and at 7 p.m.