Senior Night brings one win, one loss

by Taylor Burns

“It was good to play in front of friends and family. The outcome wasn’t what I wanted, but I will never regret playing basketball my senior year,” senior Mark Bruxvoort said after he played during Senior Night on Jan. 31 against the South Hamilton Hawks. The girls finished the night off with a win of 53-21, but the boys lost 79-61.

unnamed-17.jpg
Senior Alexis Timmins looks for a teammate to pass the ball to in the game against South Hamilton on Jan. 31./by Taylor Burns

“I’m going to miss them as players and as individuals. Each is unique when visiting them and their personalities are awesome. They are a fun group to be around, and they make each day enjoyable,” Girls’ Head Basketball Coach Jeff Lindsay said. “I couldn’t ask for a better group. They have set a strong foundation for the young girls at PCM.”

Senior Alexis Timmins finished her last regular season home game on top, leading the team in points with 13. She and senior Katie Vande Wall tied the amount of total rebounds with seven. Vande Wall and freshman Regan Freland each had four steals. Freland had the high of assists with eight. Other players who contributed points was senior Kayla Jennings with 10, Freland and Vande Wall with nine and seniors Kaylee Townsend with eight and Rachel Stafford with four.

“I have been playing with these girls since third grade, and it’s heartbreaking that it’s coming to an end,” Timmins said. “I’m excited to see what the rest of our season has in store for us.”

Boys’ game

At halftime, the Mustangs trailed 48-23. During the fourth quarter though, the Mustangs scored 20 points with the Hawks only scoring 11, but it still wasn’t enough to catch up. Bruxvoort finished on top with 11 points. Sophomore Reed Worth had nine points and junior Jackson Thomas had eight. Sophomore Andrew Van Ryswyk had seven points and seven total rebounds. Sophomore Nick Dredge also had seven points. Sophomore Brayton VanDyke had six points while freshman Derek Brown had five. Junior Elijah Sperfslage and freshman Jason Stafford had four and two points, respectively. Sophomore Preston Van Wyk also contributed two points.

The boys play Greene Co. tomorrow, Feb. 10 at home at 7:30 p.m. and begin district play on Monday, Feb. 13 at Pleasantville against Collins-Maxwell-Baxter. 

The girls recently moved from rankin
g 15th in Class 3A to 12th. In what could be their last home game, grab your friends and support the girls as they take on the Albia Blue Demons in the first round of regional play on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 7 p.m.