Uphill battle for varsity wrestlers

Uphill battle for varsity wrestlers

by Kinsey Phipps

“Being short five starting wrestlers, we knew it would be an uphill battle to beat the 3A Newton team last night,” Head Wrestling Coach Cory Waddell said, speaking last weak.
The PCM varsity wrestlers had a tough challenge ahead of them as they saddled up and rode to Newton High School on Dec. 3. Newton also wrestled the Knoxville Panthers before PCM’s matchup, but the Mustangs only wrestled Newton. The class 3A Cardinals had a full line up going in to the meet and were stiff competition for the Mustangs, as they lost 61-15.
Due to illness, five starting varsity wrestlers were out. Junior Chace Palm earned the only fall for the team and gave the Mustangs six team points, pinning his adversary in 3:03. Due to injury in a previous match, Newton only gave up one forfeit in the Mustangs’ favor in the 145-pound weight class. Freshman Nick Buswell accepted the forfeit for the team, gaining another six points. Junior Xavier Miller was wrestling two classes up from his usual weight, 138 pounds, when he wrestled in the 152-pound weight class. Miller is ranked 10th in the class 2A 138-pound weight class. He experienced an intense match against Senior Bryce Tish of Newton, a tough opponent. It was a back-and-forth nail-biter, however, in the end, Miller came out on top. Winning by decision, Miller gave the team three points in the Mustangs’ favor.
“I was pleased with Chace Palm and Xavier Miller, the only two that won matches [that] night. Nick Buswell received a forfeit, as well. Xavier wrestled a quality opponent and was giving up about 10 pounds. He stayed aggressive and pulled away in the third period,” Waddell said.
Come see the Mustangs wrestle in the coming weeks, as they fight to fill their lineup and wrestle for victory.
“I thought the entire team fought hard and looked promising. We have some things to work on which we will, Waddell said. “We will build from this and get better each week.”