PCM Track Season Sprinting Into Action After First Practice

PCM Athletic Boosters
Last years (2023) girls track & field team

PCM High School Track for both boys and girls started Tuesday, February 20th. PCM has a lot of athletes who are looking forward to this season.

This includes our girl’s 4×100 Meter Shuttle Hurdle Relay team, which consists of Sophomores Tori Lindsay, Jorja Teeter, Lillian Humpal, and Morgan Karr. Their fastest time recorded last year was 1:08.76. Morgan Karr talks about her and her team’s goals for the season and what she is most looking forward to.

“I am really excited for this track season and I know that the coaches have big expectations of us and our performance. I have full trust in the other girls that they will work hard every day at practice and give it their best effort every meet. A goal that I have this season and I assume all the others do as well is, improving all of our splits, and I am, most looking forward to the ISU meet. I believe that we have a good shot at winning their 60-meter shuttle hurdle relay.”

Our freshman star Cross Country runner Lila Milani shares her thoughts and goals for her freshman track season and how she plans on training differently throughout the season than she did during her Cross Country season to make it to state again.

“I am very excited to start my first year of high school track. I am excited for new opportunities and to make new friends. So far, the training does not feel much different from Cross Country. I am in both the distance and sprint groups, but the distance group has been like the cross-country training but the sprint group just focuses on shorter and faster distances. My main goal for this reason is to improve my time on my 400 and to improve my long jump distance.”

Lila Milani is not the only 400 runner this season. Senior runner Tiffani Koonce runs the 800 open, the 4×800, and the 400 meters open. Tiffani’s current personal best for her open 400 is 1:03.67. She is the anchor runner for the 4×800, where their current best is 10:34.82. Tiffani talks about her expectations for herself and how she feels about this being her last track season.

“The goals I have set for myself this year is to work harder, more than I have ever these past 4 years. This year is really important to me because it is the last one, and I have big goals this year. I am feeling excited, sad, and motivated because track have always been one of my favorite sports and, as it being my last, I want to do the best I’ve ever done and end my high school days on a proud note!”

There are very many girls and boys that are looking forward to this season. Coaches have big expectations for their teams this season and are already so proud of them and the work they have been doing. Go Mustangs!