PCM Basketball Showing Their Support for Perry

On Friday, January 26, PCM hosted Perry High School for Varsity Boys and Girls Basketball. Due to recent events with the school shooting happening at Perry High School, the PCM school board and athletes have decided to do something special for their school and athletes.
“What happened at Perry MS\ HS was a tragedy. We are asking all attendees to wear BLUE in support of the Perry students, parents, school staff, and community. We want them to know and feel the support from the PCM District. PCM is committed to supporting the Perry District as they journey through the healing and recovery process. #strongertogether”
Our PCM Superintendent, Dr. Havenstrite, Shares her thoughts and opinions on the basketball game, on Friday night, January 26.
When we found out about the incident at Perry High School, Dr. Havenstrite was not the only person who jumped into action by doing something nice for their athletes. PCM girls and boy head varsity basketball coaches reached out to our activity director, Mr. Swink asking if they would be willing to do something special for them. Mr. Swink immediately agreed and started planning.
“The Perry Schools and Perry Community have quite the road ahead of them in regards to returning to normalcy and healing. Perry is a member of our conference (HOIAC), and we, as PCM, felt it was the least we could do to show our continued support for them through this tough time. Our head basketball coaches (Tony Ford and Sami Allison-Rodriguez) took the lead on planning this event of a “blue out”, and coordinating with the Perry basketball coaches and teams post-game activities, such as meals, etc. My role in the planning process was approval of their plan and communication with the Perry administration to ensure they were comfortable with our plan and in support of it. I am fortunate to have great coaches on staff, like Tony and Sami, who are willing to take on this type of event, and to recognize there are much more important things than basketball.” Mr. Swink talked about his role in the planning.
Both the girl’s and boys’ basketball teams are making a meal or a sack lunch for Perry High School athletes. Girls basketball makes the Perry girls team a warm meal that they can eat after their basketball game and do not have to worry about getting food from the concession stand. Christy Lindsey and Jodi Van Wyk were parents who signed up for their own girls’ team meal but when they found out about Perry they immediately offered to make enough food for the PCM girls basketball team along with the Perry basketball girls.
Tony Ford, along with other parents from the boys’ basketball team, are making a cold sack lunch for the Perry boys’ basketball team so that they will have food after the game. The boys’ team does not have team meals before their games, so doing this is very important to them because it is something that they usually do not do, even for their team and athletes.
Even though this is a very hard time for Perry, we all have to stay strong together and support one another. #staystrongtogether.