Get to Know the Iowa Hawks Top Tier Defensive Back Room

The Iowa Hawkeyes have made a reputation for themselves in making high-end defensive backs over the years, the 2023 group is no different. With the corners being Jamari Harris, Deshaun Lee, and Cooper Dejean. The safeties are Quinn Schulte, Sebastian Castro, and Xavier Nwankpa; Castro also plays the hybrid ‘Cash’ position. This group has racked up eight interceptions in eight games and one of them has gone for a touchdown, as well as 14 passes defended. An elite group to help lead the charge for Iowa on their quest to return to Indianapolis after just missing it last season.
Quinn Schulte is in his second season in a significant role in this defense. He’s racked up 46 tackles, good for third on the team and the most in the DB room. Schulte hasn’t gotten his first interception on the season but does have two in his career. Although Schulte is lower on the interception scale, he’s been one of the most reliable tacklers on the team and has played his role on the defense at a very high level.
Xavier Nwankpa was a highly regarded name going into the season and he hasn’t disappointed. With 31 tackles and one flying interception in the first game of the season vs. Utah State, ‘X’ has been very reliable in both pass coverage and run support. Bet on him finishing the season with another pick or two, as in his first start vs. Kentucky in the Music City Bowl last year he made an instant impact with a pick-six in the second quarter. He can impact the game in a big way very quickly.
Sebastian Castro worked his way into a starting role last year and always seemed to be around the football in the ultra-important ‘Cash’ position in the Iowa defense. He has continued his high-level play this season with a team-best three interceptions and six tackles for loss to go with it. Castro also has the team’s only defensive touchdown with a pick-six vs. Iowa State. Castro has been extremely reliable and is on the field for virtually every defensive snap.
Deshaun Lee started the season at the cornerback spot for Jamari Harris who was out with injury problems. He played what seemed like two solid games coming up with 12 tackles and two passes defended; he actually came up with an interception vs. Utah State but it was called back because a defensive linemen jumped offsides. He never got beat deep in those games but has had a tough time getting back on the field with Jamari Harris back and unfortunate injuries.
Jamari Harris missed the first two games with injury and has come back and done as Phil Parker has asked, stay patient and don’t get beat deep. Harris has gotten beat a couple of times but he’s either made a play on the ball from behind, had a teammate go make the play, or had it called back. Harris did snag four picks in 2021 so if he can return to that form, look out.
Cooper Dejean is arguably the best football player on the roster. On top of being a standout corner, he has been elite in the return game and has made a big impact on special teams. Dejean has two interceptions on the season and 38 tackles. His biggest impact on the season has been in the punt return game, with one go-ahead punt return touchdown vs. Michigan State and another game-winner that was called back due to a controversial invalid fair catch signal vs. Minnesota. Dejean has also continued his dominance in the punting game, aiding Tory Taylor with downing his punts deep in opponent territory, showing off elite speed and awareness and occasionally catching it out of the air. Dejean is an all-around great football player and the Hawks are lucky to have him.
The tradition for the Iowa defensive back room is the self-proclaimed name ‘DoughBoys’, and this group of Dough Boys has been playing at a very high level don’t be surprised to see them continue improving.