PCM Girls Cross Country ranked for second week in a row!

The PCM Mustang Cross Country team starting their race on their home invitational on 9/18 Photo taken by: Jayden Fridley
Within the last week, PCM Cross Country has gone from being ranked 14 to 12 in girls class 2A. The roster for this year’s 2023 cross country team is, senior, Tiffani Koonce, juniors Alyce Engle and Makayla True, sophomores, Alyssa Buckingham, Lexi Fagg, Paiten Rumbaugh, Abi Teeter, and Raegan Vannoy, and freshmen Ali Hilsabeck, Lila Milani, and Bailey Wheeler.
On Monday, Sept. 18 the girls had their home cross country invitational. Out of all 6 teams at the meet, PCM ended up in second place falling just short to Urbandale by 20 points. Both Lila Milani and Abi Teeter talked about their team dynamic.
¨I think so highly of this team; we’re like family, that’s what we like to describe ourselves as. I treat them like my sisters and brothers, I know I can trust them with everything, and I think that helps. We would rather be the worst team in the world and have a good relationship than have the best team in the world and have the worst relationship. Being good and also having a great relationship on the team I think just works together. You’re not going to be good without having somebody close. Family aspect definitely helps a lot,” sophomore Abi Teeter said.
  Lila Milani, a first-year cross-country runner, talked about her favorite thing about this 2023 team.
“We all are just so close, and it’s just so fun because we are so close.”
The Mustangs cross country team went from only 7 girls rostered last year; not even enough to make up a full varsity team, to this year with 11 girls on the roster this season. That number is only expected to grow next year with only losing one senior, Tiffani Koonce. With that, 4 incoming freshmen as of right now are joining the high school team next summer.
The Mustangs will be facing Albia Blue Demons, Cardinal Comets, Chariton Chargers, Davis County Mustangs, East Union Eagles, Martensdale-St Marys Blue Devils, Melcher-Dallas Saints, Moravia Mohawks, Moulton-Udell Eagles, Pleasantville Trojans, Twin Cedars Sabers and Wayne Falcons at their meet on Sept. 28 at Lake View Golf & Country Club in Chariton at 4:30 p.m.