Mustangs show supremacy, stomp Des Moines Christian

On a night that was jam-packed with distractions, the class 2A first ranked Mustangs managed to maintain their focus in a 49-12 win over sixth-ranked Des Moines Christian, improving to 7-0 on the season. The main distraction for the Mustangs was the weather. In an attempt to avoid it, the game was moved up to a 5 p.m. start time. The early start time didn’t end up having the effect many hoped it would as the storm started earlier than anticipated, resulting in an hour and a half delay. Once the storm was done, and the delay was over, the Mustangs put on a show. In a battle of the best offense vs the best defense, the defense definitely came out on top.

The Mustangs came out of the gate slower than anticipated. They surrendered a long touchdown run to the Lions on the first drive, however, they quickly regained control and established their dominance over the Lions. The Mustangs high powered offense scored the next 28 points and went into halftime with a comfortable 28-6 lead. During halftime, cancer survivors that attended the game were honored with a thunderous applause from both sidelines to show support in their dealings with cancer. To represent their support, the home crowd, cheerleaders, dance team, and players for the Mustangs all wore pink. Once the pink out halftime was done, the Mustangs got right back to work, as they continued to steamroll the Lions for the rest of the game in the 49-12 victory.

Senior Reed Worth throws a quick screen pass to senior Jaron Trausch pc./ by Lisa Van Ryswyk

The Mustangs were led by senior Reed Worth who rushed for 188 yards on 11 attempts and threw for 94 on six completions. He also threw a touchdown pass and ran for three more. Senior Wes Cummings had 106 yards on the ground and a touchdown, tying the all-time rushing record for PCM. Senior Preston Van Wywk led the Mustangs receiving corps, catching one pass for 50 yards and a touchdown.

Head Coach Greg Bonnett said, “We came out, and did we wanted to do. We were able to do it because we kept our focus.”

The Mustangs’ first-team defense yet again proved why they are the best in the state, shutting down the high powered offense of sixth-ranked Des Moines Christian. The Lions just couldn’t do anything after their first-quarter touchdown, and it wasn’t from lack of effort. The Mustangs just gave them no room to breathe, they were powerless. In a game many assumed would be a shootout, it was almost a shutout.

This has been the fourth-ranked team the Mustangs have faced this year, and that doesn’t include class 3A Newton. Five ranked teams have tried, and five have failed as the Mustangs continue to amass more and more evidence of why they are state title ready. Come see your class 2A number-one ranked Mustangs tomorrow at Osceola High School in a showdown with the Clarke Indians at 7:30 p.m.