Boys’ soccer begins, has attainable goals for season

by Dylan Sanders

There is one goal on the mind of every member of the PCM boys soccer team, to finish above .500 on the season. The Mustangs haven’t been able to accomplish this feat in a long time. Last year, the team finished with four wins and six losses, two games off of their goal.

The Mustangs look to overcome the losses of many key seniors from last year’s team. The Mustangs loses are spread all over the field, from defender, to striker, to midfielder, to goalkeeper. There will be no freshman on the team this year, so the returning sophomores and juniors are going to need to take big steps forward this season to help replace the production from last year’s graduates.

Head coach Darrin Telfer said, “ The goal is to play as a team, improve from game to game, communicate, and have fun. The things we need to improve on to help pursue those goals include playing side to side rather than just up and down the field, and having better communication. We will have strong senior leadership, which will help our team stay focused throughout the season.

This Mustangs team is made up of kids primarily from PCM, but their are also kids from Colfax-Mingo, and Lynnville Sully on the team.

The boys have already played in a jamboree scrimmage against Pella on Tuesday, March 20. They lost 3-0, but the Mustangs played a great game against an experienced opponent with an immense amount of playoff experience.

The first game for the boys will be on Thursday evening at Pella Christian. JV plays at 5:30 p.m. and varsity plays at 7 p.m.