Boys’ basketball begins

by Chance Palm

Last year, PCM boys basketball played for a decent season. They ended the season with an 11-12 record. However, after a 7-0 regular season for the PCM football team, the basketball boys may be ready to show their might on the court. The team has a host of returning players ready to take on this season.

Head coach Fred Lorensen said, “We would certainly have liked to have won more games, but overall I thought we had a successful season.  We only had one senior, so we were very young and inexperienced going into the season.”

With the returning players, ready to fight, this is a year to look forward to the new season.

On his outlook for the season Lorensen said, “I am really looking forward to the upcoming season.  We now have kids who have played a lot at the varsity level, and many of them played a ton of basketball over the summer.  We, again, have a very tough schedule, but I certainly think we can have a really good season.”

The basketball team isn’t without challenges, though. The tough schedule and the team’s own shortcomings on defense may lead to some problems along the road.

Lorenson said, “Our biggest challenge as a team is going to be how good we can become defensively.  I feel we have many players who can score.  We are capable of playing 5 players at the same time who can all really shoot the ball from the arc.  The question will be if we can consistently stop the teams that we play.  Our conference and non-conference schedules are both loaded with teams who are very good offensively.  We need to take the challenge and be willing to play hard and do a solid job on the defensive end of the floor.  If we commit to doing that, we will win a lot of basketball games.

One thing is for sure: The Mustangs are going to have an exciting season to come. With all the good and bad factors influencing the Stangs’, it will be an interesting and suspenseful season. Come see the boys face off in their first game against Saydel at PCM High School on Dec. 1 the start time is to be determined.