Marching Mustangs do well in harsh weather conditions

by Dylan Sanders

The PCM Marching Mustangs traveled to Ankeny in dreadful weather conditions to take part in the Mid Iowa Competition on Oct, 14. The Mustangs placed fifth against some unfamiliar competition. West Lyon and Sibley Ocheyedan were the two schools that placed first and second. The Mustangs obtained a score of 59.6 out of 100. They finished right behind Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont and West Marshall who each scored 64.9 out of 100.

Color Guard placed second overall, scoring 17 points more than Eddyville-Blakesburg, who normally comes out on top when facing the Mustangs in this category.

Band Director Luis Dupuis said, “ The harsh weather condition definitely affected our sound, and it made everyone restless during the competition. It also gave our band excitement because we had never marched under the lights before. As a band we can definitely improve in time for state. The goal is to keep the momentum moving forward. We just need to continue refining our music and drill until Thursday. This was definitely the best performance of the year for the band.”   

The weather pushed back the morning part of the Mustangs double header, so now they will be marching in their final competition tonight, Thursday, Oct 19 in Pella for the State Marching Competition at 5:15 p.m.