Mustangs top Homecoming off with win

by Olin Meinders

After a very long and very successful Homecoming week, a Mustangs win certainly would be the metaphorical cherry on top. The conditions for the game were not ideal, pulling up the start time of the game to 6:30 p.m. PCM showed that not even mother nature could slow the team down and continued their district dominance. The Mustangs proved to be too much for Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont to handle and came out on top,41-8.

EBF’s defense was no match for the Mustangs offense, allowing 21 points in the first quarter. However, the Rockets did improve in the second quarter, allowing just 20 points.The Rockets’ offense showed no signs of life the entire first half and could only manage to make it inside PCM territory once towards the end of the second half. When they were finally able to make it across the 50 yard line, EBF almost immediately fumbled to turn the the ball over. With a minute remaining in the half the Mustangs were able to make a quick 76-yard drive that resulted in a junior Wes Cummings touchdown to make the score 41-0 at halftime.

With backups in for PCM, the Rockets’ offense was able to to score in the second half, depleting the Mustang’s lead to 33. After the game, head coach Greg Bonnett and several players headed to Des Moines to appear as the coach of the week on Friday Night Blitz which aired live on channel five. The video can be found at weareiowa.com.

Junior Reed Worth completed nine passes for 166 yards and threw three touchdowns. Worth is currently sixth in 2A for passing yards this season with 1261 and is tied for first in touchdowns with 20. Cummings had another impressive outing, rushing for 158 yards and one touchdown on 16 attempts. Leading PCM in receiving was junior Preston Van Wyk with 63 yards and a touchdown. Van Wyk is tied for third in 2A for receiving touchdowns with eight. PCM’s record improves to 6-1 and remains undefeated in district play, while EBF falls to 3-5.

The Mustangs will travel to Bloomfield tomorrow night to play the 1-6 Davis County Mustangs at 7:30 p.m. A PCM win will bring home the 2A District 6 title for the second consecutive year.