A loss to Chariton in double overtime

by Brady Fagen

On April 25, the PCM girls soccer team journeyed to Chariton for a soccer game, which was held later that night. The girls were searching for their first win of the season. However, they did not achieve their goal. PCM lost to Chariton 3-2 in double overtime. Their regular season record is now 0-8.

“It was a tough loss considering Chariton is a close game every year, but we know that we have certain things to work on before we meet again,” said senior Abby Waddell.

The first half was quick and intense. Sophomore striker Shaylee Shedenhelm had two goals in the first half. Chariton had one coming from senior Carlie Schaeffer.

After the replenishing half, Chariton came out stronger than they were in the first half. The Knights had possession for most of the half, but powered through the Mustangs defense only once. The goal was scored by Chariton’s own, junior Ivy Swarthout. The score was now 2-2. With the game winding down in the final minutes of the game, the Mustangs took possession of the ball and kept it. Unfortunately, they did not score.

It took two overtimes before one of the teams had scored to win the game. The Chariton Chargers took home the victory as Schaeffer scored the winning goal. The final score was 3-2.

The Mustang’s next game will be May 8 at the PCM high school versus the Ballard Bombers. The game will start at 7 p.m.