Girls’ golf wins season opener; Maher is medalist

by Kinsey Phipps

The varsity girls’ golf team anxiously awaited their first meet. Finally, on April 4, they headed to Harvest Point Golf Course in Oskaloosa to compete in their first competition of the season against the Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont Rockets.

Though the weather was cold and the course was wet, the girls prevailed in the nine-hole meet, winning with a final score of 210; the Rockets scored 245. Senior Breanna Maher was medalist with a score of 45.

unnamed-17.jpg
Junior Madeline Mitchell practices her golf swing on April 10 in preparation for their upcoming meet on April 13 in Pleasantville./courtesy of Madeline Mitchell

“We didn’t play very well for our first meet of the season, but we came home with the win,” head coach Val Edwards said.

Behind Maher was junior Sabrina Reed and sophomore Mackenzie Bussan, both carding a 54. Junior Madeline Mitchell followed them with a 57. Junior Ellie Steenhoek and sophomore Lexi Reed finished with a score of 61 and 63, respectively.

“I was disappointed at our first meet. My expectations for myself were a lot higher than the outcome,” Mitchell said. “The only way I can achieve my goals for the season is to practice as much as I can.”

The girls are working to improve their scores for the next meet on Monday, April 10 in Pleasantville against the Pleasantville Trojans. The meet starts at 4 p.m.