Wrestlers go 2-1 at home quadrangular

by Mia Burns

The PCM wrestlers had a successful night at their first home quadrangular on Dec. 8. The Mustangs competed against Bondurant-Farrar, Pleasantville and Sigourney-Keota. They proceeded to beat Bondurant-Farrar 44-24 and Pleasantville 48-27, but the Mustangs lost to Sigourney-Keota 40-39.

The Mustangs first faced the Bondurant-Farrar Bluejays. As a team, they had three pins, three decisions, two forfeits and one tech-fall in their favor. Earning pins were seniors Xavier Miller and Chace Palm and sophomore Wes Cummings. Miller and Cummings defeated their opponents in the first period with times of 1:23 and 1:21, respectively. Sophomore Jarron Trausch won his mach with a tech fall, 21-6.

Next, the grapplers faced the Sigourney-Keota Savages, but the Mustangs were defeated, 40-39. They had four pins, two forfeits and one decision in their favor. Cummings and Trausch pinned their opponents in times of 29 seconds and 40 seconds, respectively. The only decision for PCM was sophomore Cody Wallace, who won his match 9-8.

Finally, the Mustangs defeated the Pleasantville Trojans. The team had five forfeits, two decisions and two pins in their favor. Registering falls were Miller and senior Leevi Telfer, pinning their opponents in 53 seconds and 1:48, respectively.

“I thought we wrestled pretty well, overall. This early in the season there is much work to be done, but we are getting there.  We will be in better shape as the year goes on, and our technique will improve. I thought the young guys performed very well,” Head Coach Cory Waddell said. “Some of them [were] in their first varsity action. [It] should be a fun and exciting season.”