Girls fly past North Polk

by Tyler Foster

Last Friday, Jan. 30, the PCM girls’ basketball team played the North Polk Comets in what was another key win for the Mustangs. The Mustangs ended up not only victorious in the 54-42 win, but they remained in the hunt for the Heart of Iowa Conference title.
The Mustangs, led by senior Courtney Van Houweling’s 13-point, nine-rebound game snuck out a win, although they didn’t shoot as well as they have all season. They went only 1-9 from behind the arch, but solid play in the paint and 20 offensive rebounds really pushed the Mustangs to victory.
“At halftime, we knew we had ourselves a game,” Van Houweling said. “Coming out strong in the third quarter with fast breaks is what really turned the game around. Our shots weren’t falling, so we made some defensive changes and got some easy buckets.” Van Houweling said.
PCM will next play tomorrow night, Feb. 6, at Nevada, a team who previously defeated the Mustangs, so they will be looking for the sweet taste of revenge.
“We are going to have to pack the paint on defense,” Van Houweling said. “As a team, we have to come out strong and finish strong. Mustang basketball is what our team needs to play and not let them change our style of play. Out-rebounding them is the key to beating them.”