What is Black Friday?

What is Black Friday? Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving. It marks the start of Christmas shopping for most Americans. Many stores and websites have different sales and deals. Stores may open earlier than usual, some may open as early as midnight. Black Friday is one of the biggest and busiest shopping day for the year in the United States. 

There is a lot of history behind what we know today as Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving has been called the start of Christmas shopping in America since 1952. This idea started because at the end of some Thanksgiving Day parades there would be a Santa balloon signifying the start of Christmas. This was because Christmas is the next major holiday celebrated by Americans so it was implied that Christmas is around the corner and that it is time to start Christmas shopping.

Many non-retail employees and schools get Friday off as well making it a four day weekend. For many stores this increases the amount of potential customers. For many years it was common for stores to open at 6 a.m. but in the following years some stores opened as early as 4 a.m. to extend hours. In earlier years the sales of some stores would continue throughout the weekend but now most stores do not do this. It is said they do this to create a sense of urgency to make the customers buy it right then, but some stores do offer sales the week before Thanksgiving so that is a good time to check for early sales.

Some tips when going Black Friday shopping is you can do it online. Now that most stores have apps or websites you can do it all on your phone or computer. This makes it a lot easier because you don’t risk there being long lines or crowded stores and having to wait. The downside is that most stores do not offer the same discounts online as they do in store. Another tip is if you do go to a store, use a credit card. It is safer because you won’t be carrying around money that in big crowds could get stolen or lost. It also makes it easier to make large purchases. Also if you go to a store plan on big crowds and very limited supplies. Make a list of most important to least that way when you enter the store you go to the most important thing first before it has the chance to be gone. Another important thing is remember to be polite no matter what everyone is there for the same thing to buy things for a discount so don’t be rude.

Some good places to go to or shop online at are Target, Amazon, Lululemon, Best Buy, Walmart, Kohls and Macys. Target announced that there will be deals on hundreds of thousands items and many up to 50 percent off. Amazon has lots of deals for all different brands and items. Amazon has deals for electronics, home decor, appliances, toys and personal items. Apple and phone companies also have different deals and upgrades. Apple starting Nov. 24 if you buy an eligible product you can get an Apple gift card for up to 200 dollars to use on a later purchase. Some of the deals are buy an iphone 14 and get up to a 75 dollar Apple gift card or you can buy a Macbook Air and get up to a 200 dollar gift card. There are so many different deals. Hope you have a fun time Black Friday shopping and a great Thanksgiving.