Should PCM have longer holiday breaks?

Should PCM have longer holiday breaks?

With Thanksgiving break coming up in just a week the talk around the school has been why do students only get 3 days off for Thanksgiving this year with one of those days being a Staff Professional Development day. PCM’s Thanksgiving break this year is November 22 through November 24 for students in all school buildings in both Prairie City and Monroe. Staff only get 2 days of Thanksgiving break; the 22 and 23 of November. Schools around the area have started doing the same thing but giving staff the same amount of time off as students. This leads to the question of would you rather have longer holiday breaks during the holiday season and have to go to school longer in the summer or keep the time we have off as we have it and get out at the same time? Sophomore Jayden Fridley was the first student to be asked this question and she responded with, 

“Longer holiday breaks because it gives students more mental time off and more time to spend with their friends and family over the holidays.” 

Sophomore Addie Beener and Freshman Lilly Knapp agreed with Jayden Fridley with Addie stating, “We should have longer holiday breaks because I like spending time with my family.” 

Lilly said pretty much the same thing as Jayden and Addie saying, “I do think we should have longer holiday breaks because we barely get to spend time with our families (over the holidays) and we would be able to spend more time with them.” 

Out of everyone who was asked the question, would you rather have longer holiday breaks during the holiday season and have to go to school longer in the summer or keep the time we have off as we have it and get out at the same time? Only one person said keep the time off as we have it and get out at the same time. Sophomore Keegan Fenton stated, “I’d keep the time off as we have it because I would rather have a longer summer break than a longer Thanksgiving break.” 

Most students at PCM High School agreed that Thanksgiving break should be longer than 3 days with most reasons being more time to spend with family and traveling to and from different states to see family.