Cardin brings experience to PCM

by Ashley Miller

“I like to sub because of the variety. Also, I believe that a sub is something that a school district needs to always have. When districts need subs [those days] are potential ‘down days’ for educational purposes. I’m willing to take long-term jobs because they need someone they can depend on to deliver education that’s ordinarily not going to be there when the regular teacher is gone,” long-term substitute Mike Cardin said.

Cardin started off the 2016-17 school year in the place of Vocational Agriculture Teacher Amber Samson, who was on maternity leave. He has been residing in the high school English department, teaching Brit Lit, English 9, journalism and yearbook for over a month and will stay there until the school finds a new English teacher to take over permanently.

After graduating from high school in the town of Oelwein in 1977, Cardin went on to earn a bachelor’s degree in 1981 at UNI and his master’s degree at Northwest Missouri State in 1986. He then went on to teach business in Ottumwa. He taught there for 30 years, retired, and moved on to subbing.

While being here at PCM, Cardin has also joined the coaching staff as a volunteer coach for the girls’ basketball team. This isn’t his first time coaching, however. In Ottumwa he was the varsity coach for both boys’ and girls’ basketball and also the coach in a nearby district for three years. Cardin was also the head golf coach in Ottumwa for 26 years.

“Both basketball and golf are passions of mine, and so at this point I just like to do it. I’ve never coached for the money. I just coach because I like coaching.”

He also plays both basketball and golf in his free time, and he also likes to boat, hunt and fish.

As PCM gets closer to hiring a new teacher, Cardin’s time as a long-term sub in the English department draws to a close. He stills plans on being around for the district if they need him to come in, even if it’s only for a day and not months at a time.

When asked why he likes to teach, Cardin said, “Appreciation from the students. I have received, over the years, hundreds of cards and letters. Each one has its own message, and what I feel I gain the most from is when students tell me if I’ve had an impact on their life. That’s the reason that I do it; I’ve never worked for money a day in my life, and I don’t ever intend to. I work and do the things I like because I like doing them. That is the reason I teach.”