Two students stay planted in agronomy

by Clay Cooper

A new semester is in full swing for the students here as they take on new obstacles, classes, teachers and plants. In Mrs. Amber Samson’s agronomy class there are only two people who decided to take the challenge with determination. Those two students are juniors Jessica Jacobs and Emma Findlow.
Jacobs said, “I love having two students as opposed to 20. The class can go at our pace, we also have more one-on-one time if we struggle. Also, I’m a lot more comfortable answering questions and taking a chance at being wrong because there’s one other person besides my teacher judging me. I believe 100-percent that a smaller number of students is way better.”
For those of you who don’t know what agronomy is, it is the science and technology of producing and using plants for food, fuel, fiber and land reclamation. Now, as exciting as that sounds, other students don’t know what they’re missing.
Samson said, “I think the students are missing out. It’s a topic that is important to every student in this school, but I understand everyone has their own interests.”
Because of the fact that there are only two students, teaching plans change. Samson said, “I have to pace myself differently. The pacing is the hardest spot, and I will also try to cover things they are more interested in.”
Agronomy isn’t the only class with just a few students in it ,though. Accounting has five, Government II and housing both have three, and Accounting II wins the student war with only one lonely soul. That one lonely soul is senior Jordan Rawls.
Rawls said, “I feel like it is better because I get one-on-one help if I need it.”