Mustangs keep season alive with win over Saydel

by Logan Gilman

Win or go home. This was the challenge the PCM Mustang volleyball team faced on Monday, Oct. 26, against the Saydel Eagles at Saydel. It took the Mustangs only four sets to pull off the victory.
PCM won the first set in convincing fashion with a score of 25-10. The Eagles were down but not out, as they rallied and almost pulled off a victory in the second set, but the Mustangs proved to be too much again by taking the set with a score of 25-23. With their backs to the wall, the Eagles turned the table on the Lady ‘Stangs by taking the third set with a score of 25-23. In the fourth set, the Mustangs got the ball rolling again by winning 25-11, securing their victory in the class 3A regional playoffs.
Sophomore Olivia Lippman said, “We all had the mindset to win. Whenever they got ahead by a couple of points, we were all determined to keep playing hard so that we could get back in the lead.”
Senior leader Ashley Van Gorp was the most successful from the serving line for the Mustangs, as she went 24-26. Junior Katie Vande Wall led the team in kills with nine on the night. Fellow junior Kaylee Townsend, led the squad in blocks with four. The junior power continued into the assist category, as Kayla Jennings was the leader with 34 assists in the match.
Lippman also said, “We need to keep believing in each other and continue to work together as a team. When we work as a team out on the court, we are able to make amazing plays and win games. “