Haselhuhn takes over PCM math

Haselhuhn takes over PCM math

by Kinsey Phipps

Lauren Haselhuhn has taken the desk at the head of the class as she goes into the 2015-16 school year teaching Basic Algebra and Algebra I at PCM High School. Haselhuhn took the place of former math teacher Gretchen Stephens. She graduated from Central College in Pella last spring with a major in math, a minor in English and an emphasis in education. When attending Central, Haselhuhn participated in the spring mission trips Central students go on with surrounding schools. PCM partakes in the yearly mission trips with Central, as well. In doing this, Haselhuhn got to know some students before taking the lead in the classroom. She had also previously substitute taught for Stephens last year.
Haselhuhn has been teaching for about a month now, and she has already been counting up a list of goals for herself, “figure out what students need, to work well with them and to figure out how I can teach them through the positives and negatives in the class,” she said.
With those goals, Haselhuhn has challenges facing her, as well, such as, “staying organized, figuring out different learning styles of everyone and trying to get to where I can teach different ways in one lesson,” she said.
Haselhuhn commented on the best part about being a teacher, “seeing the same students every day, getting to know them and seeing them grow, as they have been in my class for a month now.”
Best of luck to Haselhuhn, as her months multiply to years in the PCM School District.
She said, “[I’m looking forward to] learning about everyone and hearing about everyone’s personalities, working with them and getting to know people and seeing students actually succeed and being proud of themselves when they do.”