Mustangs bash Big Reds

Mustangs bash Big Reds

by Gunnar Davis

The sky was painted purple and orange, and the temperature was near perfect when the Mustangs kicked the ball off at Centerville on Sept. 11. PCM started district play at 1-0, putting up 40 points for the second straight week, beating the Big Reds 42-14.
PCM started off on defense, but a Centerville turnover just three plays in gave the Mustangs the ball in the red-zone. Senior Logan Littrell punched it in to put PCM up 7-0. After back-to-back stops by both defenses, a blocked punt gave the Big Reds the ball with short distance to the end-zone. Big Red junior quarterback Brett Kauzlarich threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to senior Hunter Cowan to score. A missed extra point made the score 7-6. That was the last time Centerville saw the end zone until late in the fourth quarter.
From then on, it was the PCM senior Logan Gilman show, as he went on to throw for 275 yards and four touchdowns. He also had a touchdown scamper. Juniors Luke Greiner and Noah Clark each finished with seven catches for 116 yards and two scores.
“This year is feeling a lot better from last year, only having 200 yards on the season, getting more into the receiving crew, instead of less blocking,” Clark said.
Senior Reid Jenkins picked up from where he left off, leading the defense again with nine total tackles. Senior Austin Sneller had six total tackles and a fumble recovery, and junior Sheldon Speers had an interception.
The Mustangs are now 2-1 on the season and 1-0 in district play. They take on the Mustangs of Davis County at Davis County on Sept. 13, starting at 7:30 p.m.
“We just have to treat Davis County serious and treat them like any other team and do what we got to do,” Clark said. “Logan (Gilman) will be on, receivers will catch the ball and we’ll win.”