Mustang volleyball takes on new era of coaching

by Kinsey Phipps

“When I heard about the opening for the head volleyball position, I felt that it would be a great opportunity for me to give back to the school in the community that I live in,” said PCM Volleyball Head Coach Krystal Ehn.
Three new volleyball coaches are taking the reigns of the Mustang volleyball program this year. Ehn is taking over the head coaching position. Previous seventh grade volleyball coach Wendy Chiabotta is in charge of the JV girls, and Jodi Johnson is looking after the freshman team.
This is Ehn’s first season as a varsity coach. Ehn previously coached nine seasons of volleyball at middle school, ninth grade and JV levels.
“Learning to work with a whole new coaching staff will be a slight challenge for the players at the beginning of the season. Also, the varsity is in a rebuilding year. The team only returned two full-time starting hitters from last season, and this will be our setter’s first season as the lead varsity setter,” Ehn said. “There are many talented players ready to step up and fill the vacancies. It will take a little time for the players to find their fluidity, but I think they will come together nicely as a strong playing team.”
The team has many goals going into the season.
“I want to develop a volleyball program that teaches players in a positive, character building, skill oriented and game-ready manner,” Ehn said.
As far as achieving those goals goes, Ehn has a plan.
“The players are working hard at every practice to improve their volleyball skills. They are improving all aspects of play, including serving, receiving, passing, setting and hitting. They are learning to work more as teams and less as individuals,” Ehn said. “I want them to enjoy being on the court and working hard to achieve wins.”
Ehn’s daughter is a 2009 graduate of PCM. She played volleyball for the Mustangs during her time here, as well.
“I’m looking forward to being a part of the amazing sports programs at PCM,” Ehn said.