Iowa Fans don’t have it Easy this Season

Being an Iowa fan the last couple of seasons has not been very easy. The offense isn’t playing well at all, which makes for low-scoring games and having to rely solely on the defense and special specials, which is stellar, but you never want to put all your hope on just them. The coaching staff has been a hit-or-miss situation, with the offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, who has now been let go, not being the best fit for the team and having major backlash on social media for his inability to put points on the board. The wide receiver coach, Kelton Copeland, who has also been let go from the team, was not doing a very good job of developing wide receivers to compete against BIG 10-level defensive backs. Iowa’s athletics team has yet to release any information about the new occupation of the offensive coordinator position or the wide receiver coach position.
But things are starting to look up for Iowa and its fans. With the new athletic director, Beth Goetz, the university is looking to make some game-changing decisions in the coaches’ room, as well as getting some new high-star recruits. The newest playmakers added to the roster are some Iowa-bred boys, 3-star running back, Brevin Doll, and 4-star linebacker, Derek Weisskopf. Both are looking to make major impacts on the Iowa offense and defense. Being Iowa-born and raised, they’ll definitely be some of the fan favorites on Saturdays at Kinnick.
On top of the new promising recruits, returning this year will be Michigan transfer and former Heisman front-runner, Cade McNamara, who last year had a great start to the season before sustaining a season-ending injury to his knee. After the devastating torn ACL of McNamara, in came the tank and rocket of an arm Wisconsin transfer, Deacon Hill. Hill played the next 4 games for the Hawkeyes. Being under average, he threw for 1,152 yards, 5 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions before he was injured in the second half of the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl against a fierce Tennessee Volunteers team, which then income freshman, Marco Lainez, who was less than impressive, only throwing for 4 yards the whole half but rushing for 51 yards on 6 attempts. Iowa lost that game 35-0. That being Brian Ferentz’ last game as offensive coordinator, most Iowa fans were relieved to see such a disappointment about a coach gone and excited/nervous for what was to come for a new offensive coordinator for the Hawkeyes.
Iowa’s fans have their fingers crossed going into the 2024 season hoping for even an average offense and still that stellar defense followed by just as good, maybe even better special teams. They have their hopes up. Let’s hope that the Iowa team they love so much doesn’t let them down.