Romantic Comedies = Perfect Way to Celebrate Valentines Day

Romantic comedies have been around for decades, gaining popularity in the 80s with films like Sixteen Candles and When Harry Met Sally. With the lighthearted spirit and relatability of characters that Rom-Coms provide, it is no surprise that many Rom-Coms are regarded as universal classics in film. I personally feel that Romantic Comedies hit their peak of popularity and quality from the late ’90s through the mid-2000s. This period of time was an iconic era in pop culture, and I believe Rom-Coms was a key part of what made this time so memorable. From wardrobe to soundtrack, it really seems like directors could not miss during this period. With leading actors such as Matthew McConaughey (How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days), Heath Ledger (10 Things I Hate About You), and James Marsden (27 Dresses), the comedy value and romantic appeal were simply superb. Not to mention the incredible leading ladies like Julia Roberts who ran this genre. One of the pinnacle components of the 90s/2000s Romantic comedy was the soundtrack loaded with classic songs. Many of these movies contained a song that became iconically associated with the movie, such as “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” from the iconic marching band scene in 10 Things I Hate About You, “You’re So Vain” from How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, and “Bennie And The Jets” from 27 Dresses. I, as well as many other people from my generation, grew up in this genre of movies. There is a certain level of nostalgia that these movies provide that is unmatched by any other genre. Because of this universal love of Rom-Coms, I am left wondering one thing. Why did they stop making Romantic comedies like these? Obviously, there have been many movies considered to be Romantic Comedies since the mid-2000s, but to me, it feels that after around 2010 they just didn’t have the same iconic energy that they had before. It’s hard to say what the reason for this is. It could be that directors were running out of fresh storylines or simply that people weren’t interested in these movies anymore. As someone who loves Rom-Coms, it has always been sad to me that my generation doesn’t really have an iconic Romantic comedy from our teenage years. I feel that many of the movies that are made right now to appeal to teenagers are often very unrealistic and try too hard to meet the idea of what adults think teenagers now relate to. I had honestly forgotten how much I love Rom-Coms until the new movie, “Anyone But You” starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell was released. This movie is everything you could want in a Romantic comedy and more. From the beautiful and talented lead to “Unwritten” being the movie’s theme song, it is truly a modern masterpiece in the genre. I hope that this film sparks a new generation of Romantic Comedies that are reminiscent of the mid-2000s.