District Individual Speech

On Saturday, February 24, 2024, PCM students who are involved in Individual Speech competed at South Tama High School for a chance to make it to the state competition. Out of the 13 students that competed in this competition, 8 students made it to state level. The categories that the PCM students participated in were Musical Theater, Acting, Storytelling, Prose, Poetry, Literary Program, and After Dinner Speaking. The students that are continuing on to state are Sophomores, Grace Taylor, Keira Stone, Carter Dudley, and Piper Clark. Adding on to those 4 junior, Max Kimball, and senior, Jordan VanderWerf also made it to the stage. Each individual is given a rating of either one, two, three, or four based on how the judge scores them on their performance, with one being the best score, and automatically moving you onto State. They also received constructive feedback on what was liked and improvements to make for any future performances. Not only can students strengthen bonds with their friends that they already have, but it can also create an inviting space for them to build new friendships with others who share the same interests. When asked what sophomore, Grace Taylor enjoys the most about speech, she said When asked what she most enjoys about speech, sophomore Grace Taylor said, “I like hanging out with my friends, and my coaches, and how supportive the coaches are.” Her favorite memory from speech so far was “the large group.” The large group is when a group of multiple people get together, and act all at once. The students that are moving onto state will participate at Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids on Saturday, March 9.

District Individual Entries & Results: (In order of performance times) 

• Emilyn Davis – Musical Theatre – II
  • Jocelyn Burg – Acting – II
  • Grace Taylor – Storytelling – I
  • Keira Stone – Storytelling – I
  • Jordan VanderWarf – Prose – I
  • Carter Dudley – Poetry – I
  • Kylie Lewis – Lit Program – II
  • Max Kimbell – Prose – I
  • Jocelyn Burg – Musical Theatre – II
  • Piper Clark – Musical Theatre – I
  • Kylie Lewis – After Dinner Speaking – II
  • Max Kimbell – Poetry – I
  • Keira Stone – After Dinner Speaking – I