Mustangs dominate en route to first win

Mustangs dominate en route to first win

by Gunnar Davis

Coming off a dismal performance against rival Pella Christian in week one, the PCM Mustang football team looked to earn their first win against Central Decatur on Sept. 4 at home. The Mustangs got the job done in convincing fashion, putting up 35 points in the first half alone, winning with a final score of 48-12.
The game started off with a bang, when senior Tyler Dredge took the opening kickoff 76 yards the other way for a score, putting the Mustangs up 7-0 only 12 seconds into the game. The PCM defense was stifling all night, allowing the offense to get as many chances to score as need be. Seniors Logan Littrell and Davis Herndon and freshman Wes Cummings led the rushing attack on the night, with Littrell scoring the next two touchdowns, putting the Mustangs up 21-0.
“Well, with our new offense, it was a lot easier to run the ball with a blocker in front of me,” Littrell said. “I think if we stick to the new offense, it could work pretty good for us.”
With the run game working so well, the pass game was then set up perfectly. Senior Logan Gilman threw his first touchdown pass to junior Luke Greiner to make it 28-0. From that point on, the Mustangs had the game under control. PCM’s defense was a big key in the game, only allowing 12 points to a team who scored 48 just one week earlier.
“We ran to the ball and didn’t give up very many big plays,” senior linebacker Reid Jenkins said. “We flew around. We were very aggressive, and we came out on top.”
Jenkins was a big part of the defense with 10 solo tackles, a punt block and a fumble recovery. Junior Sheldon Speers had six total tackles. Herndon and junior Leevi Telfer each had five.
On offense, Littrell led the way with 14 carries for 105 yards and two touchdowns. Littrell also had a touchdown reception. Cummings had nine carries for 66 yards and a touchdown. Gilman was near perfect on the night, going 10-11 and throwing for 181 yards and three touchdown passes.
The Mustangs are now 1-1 on the year and travel to Centerville on Friday, Sept. 13 for their first district matchup against the Big Reds, with game time starting at 7:30 p.m.