Michigan Out-Muscles Washington en route to National Championship

Monday, Jan. 8–The Michigan Wolverines beat the Washington Huskies 34-13 in the College Football Playoff National Championship. A long-awaited championship for Wolverine players, coaches, and fans as this was their third straight playoff appearance, the past two ended in a semifinal loss. Michigan outgained Washington in total yards 443-301, but the big difference was in the run game as Michigan rushed for 303 yards to Washington’s 46. Michigan’s physicality proved to be too much for Micheal Penix Jr. and the Husky offense. 

Michigan took the opening kickoff and scored a touchdown in eight plays, going 84 yards in 4:46, capped off by a 2nd & 14, 42-yard touchdown run by Donovan Edwards. Washington, being a team that thrives off of big plays, was held to very few big plays against the stiff Michigan defense. But they were able to get a field goal on their opening drive, a 14-play drive that got as close as the eight-yard line, but they had to settle for three in the end. The Wolverine offense being known more for their physicality and ability to run the ball, was connecting on their big plays that night. They would score in four plays. A three-yard run, a 37-yard pass, an incomplete pass, and then a 46-yard touchdown run by Donovan Edwards. Washington would go three-and-out on their next drive, and the game was never really out of Michigan’s hands for the rest of the night. The final was 34-13, capped off by an interception by Michigan DB Mike Sainristill that was returned to the eight-yard line, Blake Corum would score two plays later. 

A lot of people criticize the Michigan QB, J.J. McCarthy, for his ‘lack of contribution’ for lack of better words. Although he is an astounding 27-1 as a starter, not to mention he’s now a National Champion, it’s hard to say that he doesn’t get a lot of help from his run game and defense. He was 10-18 for 140 yards passing in the National Championship, nothing crazy but he didn’t turn the ball over and managed the game well. But two games that people point to are when Michigan played at Penn State, and home against Bowling Green. Against PSU he went 7-8 for 60 yards, quite literally military school numbers. And against BGSU he was 8-13 for 143 yards and three interceptions. So although there is an argument for how well he would have done had the offense gone through him, there is no argument for his greatness and success as a Michigan QB, and Michigan fans, players and coaches wouldn’t want anyone else leading the charge.