T-minus 16 days before Mercuris lifts off

by Gwen Pearson

“I would stay for the students. We [PCM] have some of the best students.”
In 1979 Mrs. Eileen Mercuris, business teacher at the PCM High School, started her teaching career in Monroe. She started her teaching career in Baxter in 1970 before switching to job at PCM. Fast forward to 28 years later, in 2007, when she retired for the first time. One year later, in August 2008, she returned to her teaching position. Jump forward once more to the present, which happens to be Mercuris’ last year teaching at the high school.
Growing up in the rural town of Zearing, Iowa, the thought of becoming a teacher never crossed her mind. It wasn’t until she was in college at the University of Iowa that the thought occurred to her. In a way, her mother started Mercuris on the path that took her through life. During her senior year of college, Mercuris’ mother urged her to take typing and shorthand, both of which she excelled in. Mercuris found hidden talents in these classes, talents that she always had possessed but never thought meant anything, and ones that urged her on to the path of a business teacher.
After she retires for the second and final time this year, Mercuris plans to spend a lot of extra time with her family. Other than that, she has no future plans, other than visiting her roots again on another trip to Ireland, as she did in the summer of 2014.
“I still feel I’m young, and I can’t just stay home,” Mercuris said. “I do know that I want to be a volunteer at the Animal Rescue League because I really like animals, dogs especially. There might be some part-time jobs. I don’t know for sure yet.”
May 29 will be her final day at the high school last time she will look down the halls, knowing that the chances of her returning are unlikely. She has been a staple in PCM High School for 36 years, and 28 of those years were spent in the same room, room 53.
It will be a difficult transition for Mercuris to no longer be teaching, but an even bigger one for the students and the rest of the faculty. She will be missed, but it is time for her to move on to a new chapter in her life. One in which she can enjoy life to the fullest and do what makes her happy.
“The school is a part of me,” Mercuris said, with conviction. “This school has been my home away from home.”