2A District 6: Recap after Two Weeks of Play

Gavin Van Gorp (1) runs the ball vs Iowa Falls-Alden in the matchup between the two in 2022; they will face off again Oct. 13. Photo by Troy Hyde

District six is shaping up interestingly through two weeks of District play. Jesup beat West Marshall on Sept. 22 8-0. PCM will have hopes of coming out atop this district, hence their 50-7 rout of the Jayhawks on Sept. 15. But West Marshall shouldn’t be taken lightly as they were a preseason top ten team in 2A and beat the Mustangs last year in State Center 13-12, that will be a highly anticipated matchup on Oct. 6 at the Mustangs field in Monroe. 

The Vinton-Shellsburg Vikings although 0-5 battled with West Marshall on Sept. 15 and held a 21-7 lead in the second quarter before an offensive explosion from West Marshall that led to a 52-21 victory for the Trojans. Look out for the Vikings passing attack as their quarterback senior Zach Staab leads the district in passing yards with 709 and his favorite target senior Darian Schneider has hauled in 282 of those yards and also leads the district in that category. 

Iowa Falls-Alden is off to a hot start in district play with wins over Union and Vinton-Shellsburg. Their senior quarterback Jaden Damiano boasts the most touchdowns in the district with 13, three passing and eight rushing. The Cadets will face off tomorrow night at State Center vs. West Marshall and will look to stay in the fight for the district championship.

Jesup came away with a huge home win vs. West Marshall in a game that started on Sept. 22 but ended on Sept. 23. The final was 8-0 with two points coming from a safety and six from a touchdown (missed extra point). The game was under a rain delay before it began but finally kicked off around 9:40 and ended just after midnight. Jesup is 1-1 in district play with the loss coming to PCM.

The Union Community Knights have had a rough start to the season and have yet to win. They do have the leader in sacks in the district in senior Ryan Devries. Union will look to pick up their season at Jesup Tomorrow night.

PCM has looked promising early although the record isn’t anything to boast about. They are the most battle-tested group in the district with the toughest schedule in the district so far. Senior Griffin Olson leads the district in receiving touchdowns with 3, and Adrien Robbins is near the top in just about every rushing category. 

PCM and IFA remain the only unbeaten teams in district play. They will face off on Senior night for the Mustangs on Oct. 13. Only then will it be known who will come out of District Six on top.