Seniors get first powder-puff win

Ellen Wright
Senior powder-puff team

The senior class has had a rough last 3 years during powder-puff with losing every year’s first game. The seniors came into this year’s powder-puff game with nothing to lose. They were excited and pumped up before the game started. 

The first game the seniors played the juniors. The game was off to a really slow start. The seniors were looking good with 5:25 left in the game and the seniors threw an interception to give the juniors possession of the ball. With less than 2 minutes to go the juniors were marching down the fields with Junior Addi Steenhoek leading the way with a big run to put them on the 10 yard line. The seniors got a big stop in the last couple seconds to force the game to overtime with a score of 0-0. The seniors got the ball first in overtime, starting at the 10 yard line. Each team got 4 downs to score on offence. On the first play in overtime, senior Lark Drake scores a touchdown to put the seniors up 7-0. The juniors got one last chance to tie the game up. The seniors need a big stop to secure the win. The juniors were struggling to move the ball. On 4th down the juniors have a bad snap and the ball goes over Steenhoek’s head and they can’t make a play on it and the seniors win their first powder-puff game! 

Senior Lark Drake said, “it was very exciting, it was our first game ever winning so we all were very hype about winning.” 

“I couldn’t be any happier right now.” Senior Carter Burns said. “Our team played a heck of a game, that’s all I got to say.”

The seniors were really excited about winning their first game. The seniors moved on to the championship game. They played the sophomores. 

The sophomores beat the freshman in their first game 21-0. Going into the Senior vs. Sophomore game there was a lot of energy between the two teams, with both teams wanting to win. The first possession of the game the sophomores scored a touchdown making the score 7-0. With 1:30 left in the first half, sophomore Jorja Teeter gets a 60 yard interception for a touchdown. The seniors got the ball at the end of the first half and ran out of time to do anything. 14-0 end of the first half. The seniors needed a big second half in order to come back. The start of the second half Teeter gets another interception to put the sophomores in scoring position. 6:30 left in the game the sophomores got another touchdown putting them up 21-0. 2:00 left in the game seniors threw another interception to once again Jorja Teeter for her third interception of the night. That interception sealed the game for the sophomores. 

The Seniors end their high school powder-puff career with a record of 1-4. 

“You know we may not have had the best championship but, we had fun and I am proud,” Burns said. “ I think we can go out and graduate and be proud that we won a game,”