Longtime coach finds new sport

Longtime coach finds new sport

by Tyler Foster

Assistant boys’ basketball and baseball coach Jeff Lindsay has now become involved in another sport at PCM: volleyball.
“I have always enjoyed watching and playing volleyball. During the Olympics, I always watch the matches. It’s a sport where a player has to be on their toes and quick reacting, powerful, yet show finesse,” Lindsay said.
After only coaching boys at PCM, he doesn’t see much of difference between the two.
“I really don’t think there are many differences. I’ve coached boys’ and girls’ basketball and found that the differences are few. The athletes want to learn and win. They want to know how to make adjustments and how to get through adversity. I do think there are differences in how a coach goes about motivating their athletes in the different sports.”
Lindsay is a P.E/Health teacher at the Colfax-Mingo School District so coaching and helping those come natural.
“I like coaching, and I like volleyball. I’ve always stress to any players I’ve coached in any sport to be versatile, and sometimes doing something new means getting out of your comfort zone. The opportunity was there, and I felt this was the right time. I enjoy helping the student/athlete realize their athletic ability level; there is nothing better to see as a coach or teacher than a student/athlete achieve a level they weren’t sure they had in them.”