Boys’ track continues improvement at BGM

by Gunnar Davis

The PCM Mustangs boys’ track team took to BGM on April 21 for a meet in the cold. Although the weather wasn’t in favor for the athletes, with strong, brisk winds and chilly temperatures, the team still placed fifth out of eight with 56 points.
“Tonight our team did pretty well,” Head Coach Collin Harrison said. “We had some PRs and also some really good times, considering the windy conditions that we had to deal with.”
Out of the whole track meet, the only first-place finish for the Mustangs came from senior Skyler Koder, who tied a season best in the high jump with a jump of 6-02. Senior Ricky Reeve placed second in the long jump with a jump of 17-09.50, and junior Logan Gilman placed third in discus with a throw of 114-07.
Koder also placed second in the 110-meter high hurdles with a new season-best time of 16.37.
In the relays, the top finisher was the shuttle hurdle relay team, consisting of senior Luke Pendroy, Reeve, junior Austin Sneller and Koder. They placed second with a time of 1:07.00. The 4×100 team of freshman Noah Anderson, Reeve, junior Tyler Dredge and junior Davis Herndon placed third, running a 47.68.
The Mustangs had some time off with BGM being the only meet in the week. In the next week on the calendar, though, the Mustangs have three different meets.
“For our next three meets, I just want to continue to see improvement,” Harrison said. “It is tough to have three meets in one week. If we improve and keep working towards our potential these next three meets, I will be a proud coach.”