Mustangs place third despite obstacles

by Ashley Miller

A shortage of girls and strong wind doesn’t stop the PCM girls’ track team from finishing strong. The Mustangs finished third overall at the 2015 Lew Lundy Relays in Montezuma on April 21.
“Due to some sore muscles, we did not have a full team again tonight, but we still achieved our goal of placing in the top three and came away with some great performances. The girls continue to amaze us with their ability to step up to any task given to them,” Head Coach Bridget Martin said. “We placed third as a team tonight behind the tough Pekin team and the bigger school of South Tama.”
The girls achieved multiple personal records and season bests that night. Senior Grace Telfer got yet another personal record in discus; she threw a 112-03, landing her first. Junior Ashley Van Gorp ran a season-best time of 27.55 in the 200, placing third. In the 1500, freshman Baylee Smith ran a 5:35.34, a new personal record and a third place win, and sophomore Mackenzie Messick placed fourth in the 100 hurdles with a time of 18.69, a new personal record.
“I think I am progressing every time I run hurdles. I love how I feel every time I finish. A better time puts a smile on my face,” Messick said.
The Mustangs also finished first in the 3000, with Rachel Peter crossing the finish line at 11:27.68. Sophomore Jayci Vos won the 400 hurdles with a time of 1:12.11.
The distance medley team of Vos, juniors Emily Hugen and Van Gorp and Peter finished first with a time of 4:41.47. Freshman Ashley Miller, Hugen, Van Gorp and sophomore Rachel Stafford won the Sprint Medley with a time of 2:01.26. In the 4×200, with a time of 1:46.02, the team of Vos, Hugen, sophomore Tatum Schnug and Miller finished first.
PCM also finished second in the 4×400 and third in the 4×800.
The girl will be continue to work and train for State in May.