Personal bests at Guthrie Center

by Ashley Miller

The night was filled with personal records at the girls’ track meet in Guthrie Center on April 16. The team placed second out of 14 teams; they were 18 points Panorama who placed first and 23 points in front of third, which was West Central Valley.
“We had another night full of season and personal bests this evening,” Head Coach Bridget Martin said.  “We were able to capitalize on the perfect weather conditions, as well as the great competition the meet had for us.”
Senior Grace Telfer had another night full of good throws, getting two new personal records. Telfer placed first in the shot put with a throw of 37-6, a new personal best and the school’s new record. She also placed second in discus with a throw of105 flat.
“I was very excited with my performance. My goal was to beat my previous personal record of 36-5, and I shattered it with a throw of 37-6,” Telfer said. “I was very excited about setting the meet’s record for furthest women’s shot put throw.”
Sophomore Rachel Stafford also got a new personal record in the 800 with a time of 2:27.86, landing her first place. In the 3000, senior Rachel Peter placed first with a season-best time of 11:19.38. Also, in the 3000, freshman Baylee Smith placed seventh with a personal record of 12:05.96. In the 400 hurdles,sophomore Jayci Vos placed first with a new season-best time of 67.54.
The girls also did well in the relays, placing first in the 4×100 and the 4×200. Vos, juniors Emily Hugen and Ashley Van Gorp and senior Mackenzie Clarke made up the team for both races. They finished with time of 52.30 and 1:51.00, respectively. The team also had multiple second- and third-place finishes, making the night a good one.
The Mustangs will be heading to the South Tama tonight to gain some more wins.