The history of PCM

The history of PCM

Since I was young I have been interested in the history of my hometown, Monroe.  I especially was interested in learning the stories of the old schools that were in Monroe.  Through the years of hearing different tales, I found the story of Prairie City and Monroe joining together to be one of my favorites. 

It all started in Jan. 27, 1986 at 3:00 am.  The Monroe High School was on fire.  Due to some electrical and insulation problems, the school burned mostly to the ground.  I spoke to a 1988 graduate, Rod DeHaai who remembers missing school for the following week as they decided where the 7-12 grade students would finish their year.   It was finally decided that the Monroe students would attend Prairie City while their high school was rebuilt.  This was the beginning of PCM.  

The Monroe Wildcats and the Prairie City Plainsmen were never separated after this, even though the towns had not officially joined forces.  As 1989 graduate Brian Briles stated, “Many great friendships and even future PCM families were started because of this situation”.  The students had to combine even though they were originally set to play sports against each other,” Rod DeHaai said. “We became great buddies after attending school together.” 

There were many votes held from both Prairie City and Monroe Communities to finally come to the agreement to consolidate our schools under one name.  In 1992 the Wildcats and the Plainsmen officially became the PCM Mustangs which included Prairie City, Monroe, Reasnor, and Otley.  

Out of the ashes rose a new and stronger community.  Together we can make it through anything and I am proud to be a PCM Mustang!