Maher breaks nine-hole record

by Tyler Foster

Last Monday, April 13, just two meets into the season, sophomore Breanna Maher broke the girls’ golf record for lowest score in nine holes. Maher carded a 39, placing first, while beating the previous best score of 41. As a team, the girls didn’t have their best meet, but a record-breaking score was the high point. The meet was held at Pleasantville against Pleasantville. The two teams duked it out, but in the end the Trojans emerged victorious, beating the Mustangs score of 240 with a 206.
As for the rest of the team, senior Taylor Phifer finished in fourth place, shooting a 54. Junior Abby Van Haaften finished with a 73, and freshmen Sabrina Reed and Ellie Steenhoek finished with scores of 74 and 80, respectively.
Head Coach Val Edwards said, “While we struggled as a team, Maher had a great night of golf. She was the medalist of the meet with a 39, which is a personal best for her and also a new PCM girl’s golf school record for nine holes. The old record was a 41. [I am] very proud of Bre; she works hard at her game, and the results are showing.”
The girls’ next meet is tonight, April 23, at Edmundson. The meet will start at 2 p.m. and is an 18-hole tournament.
As for setting the record, Maher said, “I didn’t think I would be able to break any records this early, so this is a big accomplishment. As the season goes on, [I would also like to] make it past the first round of regionals and qualify for State. It would also be a great personal goal to break the girls’ 18-hole record.”