Girls ease out victory in Oskaloosa

Girls ease out victory in Oskaloosa

by Tyler Foster

The PCM girls’ golf team traveled southeast on Highway 163 to Oskaloosa for their first meet of the season. After a successful season last year, the team was looking to reload after the departure of Kelsey and Cassidy Van Veen. The team did that, taking first overall in the meet against Eddyville and Albia.
Individually, sophomore Breanna Maher tied for first, but eventually she took second place overall, losing in the card-off, shooting a 45. Behind Maher, senior Taylor Phifer finished in third place with a 48. Freshmen Sabrina Reed and Ellie Steenhoek both shot a 57, and junior Abby Van Haaften carded a 66 to round out the top five. The team finished with a score of 207, beating Albia by just two strokes to take first.
Phifer said, “I think, as a team, we did really well for our first meet, but it was only the first one. We all have things to improve. I think the major thing we struggled with was our putting, but I’m excited to see what we will do this season.”
The girls’ next meet will be held on Monday, April 20, and the meet will begin at 4 p.m. it will be played at Terrace Hill golf course, with Bondurant-Farrar hosting the meet.
Head Coach Val Edwards said, “I’m looking to a fun and competitive year with these girls. They are very positive and work hard to improve each day just seeing some of their scores in practice and then to the first meet [really impressed me.] I think that showed [the girls] that we are able to pull together and play well to win.”