New coach has boys’ track looking up

by Gunnar Davis

This spring, the PCM Mustangs boys’ track and field team has another new coach and another new outlook on the sport. New Head Coach Collin Harrison makes the third coach in the past three years, but he brings in experience and optimism for the season.
“I’m just excited to be a part of it all and help athletes to do things they didn’t know they had in them,” Harrison said. “Creating stronger student athletes as a whole.”
Harrison is part of the football coaching staff as the quarterback coach and offensive coordinator. He also works as a math teacher in the middle school and has coached junior high track the past few years.
“I enjoy coaching track,” Harrison said. “I have had some success and gotten the swing of things through coaching junior high, so that helped. The kids are what makes it all worth while. Track is a sport that creates mentally strong athletes, and I’m excited to be a part of that process.”
The team is excited about this year. After finishing ninth out of ten teams in the Heart of Iowa Conference meet last year, there is no place to go but up. Harrison expects to surprise some people in distance, hurdles and field events, but overall, he just hopes his team improves every week.
Although all of Harrison’s goals are reachable, the road will still be difficult.
“We have a tough conference,” he said. “Another one of our biggest hurdles is to learn from the past to help us to succeed as a complete unit this year. That may not be in making it to the State meet or winning conference, but simply by reaching potential through dedication and hard work.”
The team’s first meet is tonight, April 2, starting at 5 p.m. at Roland-Story.