Boys win; Co-Conference Champions

by Tyler Foster

Last Friday, Feb. 13, the PCM Mustang boys’ varsity basketball team needed a win to clinch a share of the Heart of Iowa Conference Championship. Winning by a score of 66-49, the boys did just that. A win over Greene County gave them a share of the conference lead with the Gilbert Tigers. Although, the Mustangs do have the same amount of conference losses (two), as the Tigers. PCM did beat Gilbert twice, sweeping the series.
Sophomore Luke Greiner led the way for the Mustangs with 25 points and eight rebounds. Junior Logan Gilman continued to score efficiently, adding 14 points, ten of which were in the first half. Gilman also added another four assists for the Mustangs.
Greiner said, “Going into this game, we knew we would have to do everything necessary to win the game against a good team and be Conference Champs. This win will help us as we get ready for the tournament.”
PCM distributed the ball well, assisting 19 out of 28 baskets. Seniors Trey Lindsay and Ricky Reeve led the Mustangs in assists with seven and six, respectively. That night, the Mustangs really needed to get easy buckets early and often, as they didn’t shoot well behind the arch, not making a single three-point field goal.