PCM grad Beyer

PCM grad Beyer

by Kesley Gilbert

In elementary school, Danny Beyer’s parents, Dave and Linda Beyer, were told their son was so quiet, the only reason the teachers knew Danny was in the classroom was he never remembered to push in his chair when going to lunch. Now 33 years old, Danny has moved out of his comfort zone, and he has accomplished a great deal. This includes recently writing a book, “The Ties that Bind: Networking with Style,” published in Des Moines by BookPress Publishing, covering how to get to know others on a personal level through networking and social media.
Danny grew up north of Monroe, attended PCM schools and graduated in 2000, not counting the year he lived in Omaha, so his parents could be a family to at-risk boys at Boys Town.
Networking is the ability to interact with other people in order to exchange ideas and contacts for each others’ careers. After realizing how important networking is, Danny wished it was taught more in high schools and colleges. He and his wife Kacey came up with a program he could present to college students and businesses on the importance of networking. After some requests from viewers for more information, Danny decided to write a book on the topic. It took him two years to write the book, but for him the work was well worth his time.
“I wanted to write a book that would show how easy it is to network and explain that everyone is networking all the time. People say that they ‘hate networking.’ I believe they’re looking at networking all wrong, and the book aims to show them how it doesn’t just have to be a professional event geared at professionals or sales people. I also believe that networking can open doors and allow people to succeed in ways they never knew,” Danny said. “It was incredible to hold the book for the first time. To see all of the effort come to fruition is like nothing I can describe.”
Education
Danny first burst out of his bubble when he got a part in a middle school musical, allowing him to become more comfortable with public speaking. In high school he participated in many activities, including being on the State Thespian Board and attending the National Convention, being in band, and making All-State Choir his senior year.
After he graduated Danny attended Central College, where he was in the A Cappella choir, and he studied abroad in Wales during his senior year. With all of these groups and experiences, Danny got over the persona of the quiet little boy from elementary school and stepped out into the world of networking.
“As parents, we are really proud of both of our boys and their accomplishments,” said Linda Beyer, Danny’s mom and secretary at PCM Middle School. “Danny’s accomplishments are just more public. Danny has always put family before everything else, and I think a lot of what he has done is with his family in mind.”
Recognized
Danny works as a sales and marketing director at Kabel Business Services and is part of the West Des Moines Chamber of Commerce. He was named the 2013 Amy Jennings Young Professional of the Year, a 2014 Business Record Forty Under 40 and is a keynote speaker on networking. He also blogs for the Des Moines Business Record.
Danny has also helped organize several events including Des Moines Area LinkedIn Social, an event for professionals to help build real life connections.  In 2013, he co-founded the Bow Tie Ball, a charity event centered around bow ties and networking, which has raised over $20,000 for Young Variety.
“My wife has stood by my side and been my biggest supporter throughout this entire process. She’s allowed me to follow my dreams and has given me time away from both her and my girls in order to see it through,” Danny said. He dedicated the book to his wife.
Danny said his goal now is to have his four year-old daughter, Bella, to call him “Ninja” (Networking Ninja). So far, his little girl knows he isn’t a ninja and is not afraid to tell him so. Danny is currently working on getting his MBA at Iowa State and continuing to be a bow tie aficionado. His book is available
through his website, www.dannybeyer.com.