Mustangs fall hard in Nevada

by Logan Gilman

Coming off a heartbreaking loss to conference rival Saydel just three nights before, the PCM Mustang girls’ basketball team was looking to redeem themselves in Nevada, when they took on the Cubs on Feb. 6. Redemption was not what they earned against the ruthless Cubs, as PCM fell in blowout fashion, 61-33.
The first time the Mustangs and the Cubs faced off this year, Nevada came out on top in a 54-46 hard-fought game. The Cubs are ranked eight in class 3A and are headlined by their six-foot and six-foot-one-inch post players, junior Katie Cassabaum and freshman Lexy Koudelka.
Head Coach Bret Grier said, “Nevada’s post players really hurt us most by passing the ball and rebounding. They could see over us, they passed the ball well to their guards and of course they could just reach straight up to grab the missed shots. I actually thought Katie Vande Wall did a great job guarding Nevada’s all-state center Kati Cassabaum.”
The Mustangs had trouble scoring the basketball the whole game and especially in the first half when they went into the break down 30-15.
After halftime, Nevada came out even hotter than before, scoring 19 in the third quarter. They would cruise to the finish with a final score of 61-33. The Mustangs fell to a 13-7 record on the season.
Grier said, “”We need to get back to what made us successful, more pressing, getting more shots in the fast break. We have one of the fastest teams in class 3A. We need to get back to doing that which will hopefully lead to some easier shots for us.”
The Mustangs were led by senior Rachel Freland in both scoring and rebounding. She had 15 and eight, respectively. Sophomore Katie Vande Wall also scored seven points and grabbed seven rebounds.
The Mustang gals will be in action again on Saturday, Feb. 14 at home against Centerville at 7 p.m. in their first district game. Come out and support your Mustang girls’ basketball team!