Mustangs stumble against Saydel

by Tyler Foster

Last Tuesday, Feb. 3, the Lady ‘Stangs traveled to Des Moines to take on the Saydel Eagles. In a battle for second place in the Heart of Iowa Conference, the Eagles emerged victorious in a 66-60 game that trickled down the the wire.
Head Coach Bret Grier said, “Looking the stats over, we won or tied a lot of the statistical categories. Both teams made five three pointers. They made 15 two-point field goals; we made 12. We made 23 free throws, and they made 21. We shot 75-percent from the free-throw line. We forced Saydel into 27 turnovers, and we finished the game with just 10. We did a lot of good things in this game but just didn’t get the necessary defensive stops when it mattered most.”
It was a tough loss for the Mustangs, as they struggled around the basket, shooting just 31-percent from the field. Senior Rachel Freland and sophomore Kayla Jennings led the team with 16 and 12 points, respectively. Senior Courtney Van Houweling had an impressive stat line of 10 points, eight rebounds and six assists. Foul trouble plagued the Mustangs, as all seven girls that played had at least four fouls, and two fouled out.
PCM will play next in the first round of districts, as they face Centerville at home on Saturday, Feb. 14, at 7:30 p.m.