Mustangs hurt South Hamilton Hawks

by Taylor Burns

Although the weather has been warmer the past few days, that did not help the Mustang wrestlers when they wrestled Woodward-Granger at South Hamilton High School on Jan. 20. It did, however help out when they wrestled against the South Hamilton wrestlers.
First up was Woodward-Granger. Weighing in at 182 pounds was senior Jaret Maggard. He won over his opponent, scoring six points for the Mustangs in 1:24. Senior Tristan Clark beat his opponent in 1:51, weighing 126 pounds, also scoring six points for the Mustangs. Weighing 170 pounds, senior Ron Marshall also won his match by decision, 1-0, scoring three points. Sophomore Leevi Telfer, weighing 220 pounds, beat his opponent in 16 seconds, also scoring six points. Scoring six points for the team, in the 120-pound weight class was sophomore Xavier Miller. He won over his opponent in 3:38. Sophomore Lane Raske won his match because of a forfeit, which gave PCM six points.
“We wrestled well on Tuesday,” Coach Cory Waddell said. “We had two matches that we were leading and lost by fall against Woodward-Granger. That and a couple of other close matches were the difference in the team score.”
The Mustangs ended up with 33 points, falling to Woodward-Granger with 44 points.
Next up, the boys were wrestling against South Hamilton. Marshall won his second match of the day in 4:25, scoring six points. Maggard also won his second match in 26 seconds, also scoring six points. Clark over his opponent by decision 6-1. He scored three points for the Mustangs. Miller beat his opponent by major decision, 11-0, giving the team four points. There were a lot of forfeits for South Hamilton, which gave the Mustangs extra points.
The Mustangs demolished South Hamilton, 49-24.