Girls dominate in conference play

by Logan Gilman

Coming off to a strong win against Greene County, the Mustang girls were looking to keep the ball rolling in conference play, going up against South Hamilton on Dec. 2 at home.
The girls started off strong with some tough pressure defense, forcing turnovers, which they converted into easy buckets on the other end. PCM held a 21-7 advantage after the first quarter. That first quarter trend would continue until halftime, when the Mustangs took a 50-12 lead into the break.
Head Coach Bret Grier said, “Our press created a lot of turnovers early. Courtney Van Houweling finished the game with seven steals and really got us going toward the end of the first quarter. Her final stat line after only playing one half was very impressive.”
After the half, the Mustangs cruised to the finish with a final score of 60-25.
Leaders for the girls were seniors Rachel Freland and Courtney Van Houweling with 21 and 15 points, respectively. Sophomore Katie Vande Wall pitched in eight points and grabbed eight boards in the contest. Van Houweling also led the team in assists with seven.
Grier said, “I was very impressed with a couple of things our team did. Our ball movement was much better than it had been in the previous two games. I think we finished with 16 assists on 25 made shots. That tells me we were finding the open player, and the open player was converting.”